Monday, April 11, 2011

Five, Going on Twenty

I'm certain that every parent on this planet has had the "do as I say, not as I do," talk with their child.  I've known, since my child was born, that it was bound to happen.  The thing is, I didn't expect it to happen so soon.  But, of course, my child never ceases to amaze me, and as always, she threw me a real curveball in the car the other day...

"When I grow up, I'm going to have two kids - one girl and one boy.  But, I'm gonna make sure and have the girl before I get married!"

I'm sure my eyes were the size of saucers as the words came out of her mouth, and I stammered, trying to find the words to respond to her.

"Uhmm...why are you planning on having her before you get married, sweetie?"
"So that she can be my flower girl!"

I paused a moment and shook my head, quickly explaining to my wedding-minded child that you do not, in fact, need a child to be your flower girl.  I explained to her that most people will ask their cousins, neices, nephews, or even children of friends to be their flower girls.  She thought about it for a long moment before speaking again.

"But...you had me and  you aren't married."

Yep.  There it is.  I kind of had a feeling it was coming, as soon as I told her having a kid before getting married wasn't the best idea.  So, I began explaining to her that being a parent is very hard - and that being a single parent is even harder (and extremely expensive).  I thought I made a pretty good argument from my point, but she debunked it all with her next statement...

"Well mom, I'm almost 20!"

No comments:

Post a Comment