Sunday, May 22, 2011

Miss President, Dentist Visits, and Other Miscellany

The end of the school year is drawing near, and life is unbelievably hectic.  Between awards ceremonies, PTA dinners, and dentists appointments, I feel as though I'm being pulled in ten thousand directions all at once.  But I've learned that this kind of busy is the kind of busy that I definitely like to be.  Running between work and school and social events keeps me upbeat and energetic (though I am the first to admit that after a few days of the run-run-run schedule, I am ready for some rest and relaxation - that I don't always get.) 

It's one of the things I actually enjoy about single motherhood.  The fact that I'm everywhere all the time.  Of course, it sometimes makes me feel like I'll never catch a break, but I also get to enjoy all the fun things that are going on!  Of course, it sometimes means taking time off of work, or not committing myself and kiddo to too many things at once - but in the long run, I think it's worth it.

Kiddo had her first dentist appointment last week.  I was able to get her in at the office of my childhood dentist, which thrilled me beyond all reason.  He was a fantastic dentist and orthodontist, and specializes in pediatric dentistry, so I know she is in good hands.  The funny thing was, though, that a couple of the dental hygenists still recognized me - as did the doc himself.  And, it felt a little bit strange sitting in the waiting room, rather than in the exam chair.  The appointment went well...pretty much as I had expected it.  I already knew, going in, that kiddo has a pretty nasty cavity on the lower left side, and I noted that on her patient information sheet.  We go on the first to have the tooth capped, and that is something that I feel extremely relieved about.

We also had our final "big" PTA meeting of the year last week, in which I was voted in as next year's PTA president.  Am I crazy for taking the position?  Probably.  Is it going to be one of the most challenging things I've taken on, especially considering the lack of parental involvement and current state of the PTA?  Yep, I'm sure it will be.  But I think it'll be worth it...even if I can just make some tiny little impact - some improvement in the state of the family involvement in the school, I will count it as a victory.

Aside from that, not a lot has been going on.  Just the typical grind of work-school-collapse at home.  B is boaring a cruise ship today for a getaway with his brother and sister-in-law.  They are headed up to Alaska.  B is also making a deposit as well, on next year's cruise...the one we'll be taking together!  I think every day I fall for him a little more, and while it scares me to death, there is something that just seems to click so well with us.  Of course, being the way I am, I am constantly preparing myself for what will happen "when it all comes crashing down" (I don't consider myself a pessimist, but in the past, my life has had a way of going good-good-good and then SUPER HORRIBLE all of the sudden.  So, I tend to be very precautionary about things.)

And I suppose, that is that...I realize this update hasn't been much more than idle rambling, but sometimes it just feels good to get it all out!  More substance coming soon to a blog near you...

No comments:

Post a Comment